Friday, October 5, 2012

Home is where the stuff doesn't matter

So, my daughter being an only child and a sweet but rather indulged one, is really into this phrase that - upon turning 6 - seemed to go from the occasional thing tossed out there to one of the most frequent phrases that pass her lips. The phrase is, "I know." But not just "I know"... it's "I know" and is usually followed by the enunciation of "Mommy" or "Daddy" with an undertone of sincere and deeply felt irritation.

Most days, I can handle one or two of these, but after that nothing is more guaranteed to turn said Mommy into a fire-breathing monster with fangs and smoke coming out her ears.

The other day, however, it actually made me smile.

We were doing the kiddo's hair before school, and the key element of the ritual on that particular day was using the new sparkly pony tail keeper that she picked out of the classroom treasure box as a reward a couple days before. She was sitting, holding the pony tail keeper, while I wrestled with getting the hairbrush through her hair, and the conversation went like this:

Her: You know, sometimes, when there is something you really want, once you get it, it's not such a big deal any more.

Me: Like things from the treasure box?

Her: Yeah, like I really wanted this hair band, and now that I have it I'm like, eh, it's OK, but it's not such a big deal.

Me (practically jumping up and down to have such a teachable moment presenting itself): Well, we all like to get "stuff", but having things is not what makes us happy--

Her (interrupting): I know, Mommy.

Me (not deterred): Sometimes we feel like if we could just have this, or have what someone else has, we would be happy, but it's not about the THINGS we have--

 Her: I know, Mommy.

 Me: --it's about being content with what God has given us, because we know He loves us--

 Her: I know, I know, I know, Mommy!!

Me: OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

By car, elephant, and rickshaw

To be honest, I would have nixed the Lumbini part of the trip. We are facing down our last year in Nepal, and finally willing to overcome ...