Thursday, August 9, 2012

Jambo

For the first time in her memory (and indeed, ever), our girl has gone back to school. She has never known the comfort of going back to a place that she knows and is comfortable, and where there are friends and teachers she missed over the break. The playground this morning was a chorus of little-kid hello's and hugs, with random teachers being nearly knocked over with kid-enthusiasm.

My girl is over the moon with her new classroom (freshly built!) with its lovely view and smiling young teacher, as well as more than a half-dozen faces that were already dear to her. The picture here is of the all-school first day assembly - the high school band there on the tennis court as the "all-school" size has outgrown the auditorium.

And, how did I get this picture, you ask? It is true, I myself am there picking up my kid. After many difficult arrangements at the end of last term and a stint of 8-to-5 workdays including a few weekends, I did a great big head slap and decided to cut down my work hours. How hard was that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

By car, elephant, and rickshaw

To be honest, I would have nixed the Lumbini part of the trip. We are facing down our last year in Nepal, and finally willing to overcome ...