Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Making it home

It's not that you can't get stuff in Nairobi, because you really can. But it's usually expensive and not as good as you were hoping. We enjoy cooking and have always done a number of items from scratch out of the pure principal of the thing. Now we have expanded our repertoire. I am looking at it as practice for when we have our own little bed & breakfast / adventure outfitter (one of many "we'll settle somewhere, someday" dreams).

Naturally, there is weekend pizza. This one I took a picture of because of the bubble-monster that formed. But it was yummy.

There is also homemade lasagna. I made the noodles (don't have to, but we do) and the sauce, and seasoned minced beef to taste like sausage. I did not make the cheese, I bought that (thank you Brown's).

Mexican night is at least one night a week at our house. I make our tortillas, and Andrew makes the refried beans and salsa (except for right now, when we are flying high on a Sadie's salsa care package from mom!). I also make muffins and homemade granola or granola bars for school snacks and munchies. I make hummus and all other manner of dried-legume preparations.

We make bagels - including Andrew's sourdough bagels which are in addition to his previously perfected sourdough bread and Saturday morning sourdough pancake ritual.

The thing is, in 2 years we won't be in this kitchen or house or country, but we can still have Mexican night and Saturday pancakes.

Home is where you make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

By car, elephant, and rickshaw

To be honest, I would have nixed the Lumbini part of the trip. We are facing down our last year in Nepal, and finally willing to overcome ...