Sunday, September 4, 2011

Websites that don't cooperate

Issue: All our kid-photos since day of baby's birth through age 4, as well as various vacations and remodeling projects, are stored and shared online from Kodak Gallery.

Obstacle: Kodak Gallery does not like my IP address, and won't let me access my own photos to make our annual kid-picture-filled cheesy calendar for the grandparents. Grrr...

Solution: Shutterfly! I realized after a friend posted her photos and oohing about how cute and big etc her kids were getting... I can actually SEE these photos! It's going to take me a while to catch up, though.

I know a lot of expats use a VPN, but I have a work-related VPN that only covers access to work related sites and servers, and it cannot work with other VPNs. Double grrr.

Other websites that are on the naughty list (I won't put links since I can't see them anyway):
Pottery Barn
Williams Sonoma
ABC (streaming video)
NBC (streaming video)

That video becomes really important when you don't have a TV, CD player, or even a clock radio!!

Sites that are internationally-friendly:
Crate and Barrel (they even ship all over Kingdom come!)
Amazon (a dear friend)
Kohl's

There are other online shopping sites that let us visit, but won't ship to a DPO address. Enter 3rd party shippers. That's a whole other hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

By car, elephant, and rickshaw

To be honest, I would have nixed the Lumbini part of the trip. We are facing down our last year in Nepal, and finally willing to overcome ...